While at a recent portrait shoot for the talented and beautiful tween actress, Gracen Barnhart (see her Fan Page Here), I listened to her lovingly tease her mom about how unskilled mom is at taking self-portraits with her phone ("selfies"). I laughed as Gracen grabbed the phone from mom and said "Here. Let me do it." Then caught a sweet mother-daughter moment between them.
It occurred to me that, like Gracen's mom, Tammy, most of us moms could use a few tips on how to take "the selfie". Even me! I mean, I'm great with my DSLR and when I'm photographing others, but selfies with my phone? Uh oh.
I asked Gracen to share with us her "dos and don'ts" for taking a good selfie.
Here's what she shared:
First, the Do NOTS:
1) Don't shoot the picture from below you or it will go up your nose and give you a double chin.
2) Do not take the picture using anything but natural light.
3) Do not take the picture with both hands. It is better when you only have ONE hand in the air.
4) Don't leave a lot of space above your photo This makes your face look wider. If anything, crop your photo just a tiny bit to not get your entire forehead.
5) Do not have any items in the back round of your photo, which can pull attention away from you.
Now, the DOS:
1) Do take the picture from above eye level or directly across from your eyes.
2) Do take the picture with the hand opposite of your part of hair.
3) Do use a plain wall/background to take your selfie in front of.
4) Do take the picture not just of your face, but include your shoulders and neck in the photo.
5) Do look directly at the camera not the screen with your picture on it.
I'll give it a try, and I'd love for you to as well!
Share your selfie here in the comment section, or on my FB page at Jen Lebo Photography!
I'll share a selfie there today too!